Step-by-step notes on installing Windows XP Pro
(Installation done inside a VMware virtual machine)
- (In VMware) Boot from the Windows XP Pro CD-ROM.
- As soon as the "blue screen" appears, press F6 if you need to install a special driver, e.g., for a SCSI or network card. Generally not needed.
- Once the initial drivers are loaded, press F2 for automated system recovery. Not needed. Instead....
- Press Enter to set up Windows XP Pro.
- Press F8 if you agree to the EULA
- If you're installing onto a new HD, press "C" to create a new partition. Specify the size you wish.
- Make sure the partition you want to install on is highlighted. Use the arrow keys to highlight the correct one, then press Enter to install there.
- Press Enter to format this partition as NTFS -- THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN ONTO THAT PARTITION.
- Setup copies files.
- Windows reboots. If the CD-ROM is before the hard drive in the bootable device list (in your BIOS settings), Windows will pause. If you mistakenly hit a key here, you'll boot again from the CD-ROM. Don't do this as you want to boot from your hard drive.
- Setup installs files.
- Graphical configuration begins. Click "Next" to accept the default location and language.
- Enter your name and company.
- Enter the PAK for your Windows XP Pro site license.
- Enter the name of this computer and your local Administrator password.
- Set the correct time and time zone, and check the daylight savings time automatic adjustment checkbox.
- Installation continues.
- Accept the typical network settings.
- Choose to be a member of workgroup WORKGROUP (or whatever workgroup or domain it should be a member of).
- Setup configures the system, then copying continues, components are registered, etc.
- Windows reboots and sets a new, higher screen resolution.
- "Starting Windows XP Pro", "Setting up Windows."
- Internet configuration, click on "No, connect directly to the Internet."
- Click on "No, don't register at this time" (registration is optional).
- Enter your username(s).
- Windows XP Pro configuration is finished. Run Windows as usual.
MassTranslated on 25 Dec 2004.
MassTranslated on Sun Apr 23 17:36:21 UTC 2006
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.